This workshop is open (but limited to 60 participants) to anyone interested in improving routine access to high quality automated meteorological and near-surface oceanographic observations from ships. The organizers are seeking contributions from research and operational data users, marine technicians, vessel operators, and funding agencies. Attendees should complete the on-line Registration and those interested in contributing a poster or oral presentation (limited) are asked to submit an abstract. Registration and abstract deadline is 1 April 2008.
- Expanding areas of collaboration between the Global Ocean Surface Underway Data (GOSUD) project and the Shipboard Automated Meteorological and Oceanographic System (SAMOS) initiative.
- Identifying new opportunities for international collaboration (e.g. with automated Voluntary Observing Ship programs and new research vessel initiatives).
- Developing mechanisms that will support the application of SAMOS and GOSUD observations to achieve the scientific objectives of the oceanic, atmospheric, and global climate communities.
- Strengthening associations between the scientific and marine technical communities through open dialog and exchange of expertise.
- Building upon present data quality evaluation, distribution, and archival capabilities of GOSUD and SAMOS.
Note: The workshop organizers reserve the right to verify the credentials of any registrant.
2nd Joint GOSUD/SAMOS Workshop
Contact: Shawn R. Smith
Copyright © 2008 COAPS